20 March 2007

Chickens and Prisoner Cell Block H....


We have bought our first Hen house this will fit 6 to 8 Hens in nicely,all the way from Barnsley and we are picking it up Saturday. I decided that we are going to raise 6 chickens from scratch,I have bought the Incubator and some chick crumb and going to start it all soon,all we need now are some eggs to incubate,although we are not guarenteed to hatch all hens we will see what we get.



It's all very exciting and cant wait til they are approx 5 months old to start laying by which time they will have settled into their new house on the allotment.Having the chickens from egg will ensure they know us and we can have them vaccinated etc,their names are going to be from Prisoner Cell Block H! sad I know but they were cool name such as Doreen,Lizzy,Joyce,Bea,vera,which I think suit chickens and my cockeril will be called Fletcher (for none Prisoner fans that is the name of the male prison warden!). So with house,incubator,books,food and a whole lotta research in hand lets see what happens,everyone has to start somewhere right?
Any advise gratefully recieved please leave comments below.....

What have I been up to yesterday and today you ask? WELL I planted alot of seeds,the Radish have now gone in the wooden box covered by a fleece now outside I also covered my onions with a fleece,and the other seeds are coming up nicely. More on the seeds maybe tomorrow.

More soon .................

No comments: